Author Topic: Zoids video games  (Read 9983 times)

Deathsaurer

Zoids video games
« on: January 16, 2008, 11:12:05 PM »
i'm a new comer here. :ninja:

a few questions:

i don't see a gamer corner here. Is the moderator gonna open a section on this? if not is there a good forum out there?   

is there a full chronological list of zoids related games that had once been on the market?

anyone has got a complete walkthrough and guide such as the state of the art Zoids Tactics?

JammerLea

• Administrator
  • Take two for tea!
    • Zoids Evolution
    • Email
Re: Zoids video games
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 01:14:48 AM »
Well, moreorless you're in the right forum! There isn't enough game activity thus far to warrant a separate Zoids game forum. I do know there are a few members here who are somewhat familiar with the various Zoids video games that have been around.

Not sure exactly on the chronology, but I know there was a Zoids Commodore 64 game (circa 1985) and a few NES games: Zoids - Chuuou Tairiku no Tatakai, Zoids 2 - Zenebasu no Gyakushuu, Zoids Mokushiroku. The second forum banner I made is from one of the NES games.

I would, at some time, love to put up some information on the Zoids games on the site, it's just... something I need to find time for. XD

The newest game is Zoids Alternative for the XBox 360.

Ahh, gamesoft updated its site and moved stuff around. Having trouble finding stuff now...

*EDIT*
Ah, just for an unchronological list (alphabetical), since I at least saved some stuff from the gamesoft sites...

Alternative (XBox 360, Oct 18, 2007)
Battle Begins, The (C64, 1986)
Battle Card Game (PSX,    Jul 26, 2001)
Battle Colosseum (DS, Nov 30, 2006)
Card Colosseum (arcade - to Battle Colosseum?)
Chuuou Tairiku no Tatakai [Zoid Central Continent War] (NES, Sept 5, 1987)
Cyber Drive Zoids (GBA, Jul 18, 2003)
Dash (DS, Jun 15, 2006)
Densetsu [Legend] (GB, 1990)
Full Metal Clash (GCN, Oct 27, 2005)
Infinity (arcade, 2005)(PS2, Feb 17, 2005)
Infinity EX Neo (XBox 360, Mar 30, 2006)
Jashin Fukkatsu [Evil God Revived] (GBC, Aug 4, 2000)
Mokushiroku [The Apocalypse] (NES, Dec 21, 1990)
Saga I (GBA, Nov 30, 2001)
Saga II/Legacy (GBA, Apr 18, 2003)
Saga Fuzors/III (GBA, Dec 16, 2004)
Saga DS: Legend of Arcadia (DS, Nov 29, 2005)
Saga Online (online game)
Silver Beast (GBC, 2001)
Struggle (PS2, Nov 17, 2004)
Tactics (PS2, Aug 10, 2005)
Versus (GCN, Sept 6, 2002)
Versus II/Battle Legends (GCN, Sept 4, 2003/Sep 24, 2004)
Versus III (GCN, Sept 30, 2004)
Vs.i (mobile phone)
Zenebasu no Gyakushuu [Zenebas' Counterattack] (NES, Jan 27, 1989)
Zoids 2: Helic Republic VS Guylos Empire (PSX)

Also PSX
ZOIDS ??VS??? ????????

I'm missing a couple, so if anyone can fill in what I'm missing, as well as what consoles some are for, that would be appreciated. I also can't remember which Versus game Battle Legends coincides with.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 01:51:17 PM by JammerLea »
...pending...

PlushRayseTiger

• Fan of all things plush, robot, or both!
  • :Insert lame pun here:
    • My Deviantart Account
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 03:15:42 PM »
Battle Legends is Versus II for GC. *feels inspired to play it*
Signature in progress.

Tilly

• Administrator
    • pointytilly.net - zoids!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 10:59:36 PM »
The NES games' titles mean Zoid Central Continent War, Zenebas' Counterattack, and The Apocalypse.  Nice.

GBC also had that Jashin Fukkatsu/Evil God Revived thingy, which is like someone took the old model line and threw it and an evil scientist onto Zi.  The dungeons are stupid repetitive, but it's fun in an augh my brain way.

Oh yeah...Silver Beast is GBC only, and there's also that original Game Boy game from the old line.  It's a sidescroller...Zoids Legend or something like that?
"Now look here, PAL!"
"Yes, mister NTSC?"
"No, I mean...wait, WHAT?"
"WHAT?  That's not a standard, do you mean SECAM?"
"...stop doing that!"

Shameless Plugs: Site - Fic - Art

JammerLea

• Administrator
  • Take two for tea!
    • Zoids Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 11:30:09 PM »
Wow, there's more than I thought. I think I'm missing some online ones too... Grah..
...pending...

Shrike Flamestar

• Lurker
  • The ex-admin formerly known as Zelos
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 02:23:04 AM »
Hmm, you're also missing Cyber Drive Zoids for the GBA.

While trying to figure out the correct name for that game (I always think of it as Zoids Cyberdrive, while GameFAQs uses Cyber Driver Zoids), I found this cool and extensive page on Wikipedia.  It includes the most recent game, Zoids Alternative, so it seems well maintained.

"Possibly one of the most bizarre Zoid-themed games to date, Revenge of Helic (spelled 'Herrick') is actually a dating sim.  The game proved to be a massive failure, in part due to the dubious subject matter." I'd try it :D

It seems as if it may not be absolutely complete though, as at least the NES games you mentioned aren't on there.  As for filling in the consoles, Dash is for the DS, Full Metal Clash/Crash (depends on where you look...) for the Gamecube, Infinity the PS2 (and is the original version of FMC), all three of the numbered Sagas are for the GBA and Fuzors is the same as III (officially the title is Zoids Saga: Fuzors, however it's the third game in the series, so...), Struggle is PS2, Tactics is also for PS2 (it has a good deal of Zoid games...), all Versus games are for the Gamecube, and Struggle...oh, wait.  You have it listed twice :O

Oh, you also missed Zoids Saga DS: Legend of Arcadia.

Because I felt like it, I merged together the lists from Jammer and Wikipedia to make this monstrosity:

Mwahaha, I've moved the list to my newer post!  Mwahaha, I am evil with my editing...

I'm so edit happy tonight I missed Jammer's post below while I put in that big list, oops! :O
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 02:52:16 AM by Shrike Flamestar »
Current Obsessions: Pokemon, Zoids, Shakugan no Shana (an anime series), Mushishi (another anime), and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Alternate Link

JammerLea

• Administrator
  • Take two for tea!
    • Zoids Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 02:33:11 AM »
Nice, thanks! I checked wiki earlier, but I guess I missed that article somehow. I'll go through it and see what info I can fill in.  I dunno if I'll mess with the unofficial games though.  Dating Helic sounds scary. =_=;;
...pending...

Shrike Flamestar

• Lurker
  • The ex-admin formerly known as Zelos
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 02:45:36 AM »
Oh, hadn't noticed you replied <_<  I edited my previous post already, with a complete list I made because I'm bored. :D

...And here's that list now through the wonderful powers of my somewhat insane post editing!

All-Star Battle Story 2 (PC)
Alternative (360)
Card Colosseum (Arcade)
Chuuou Tairiku no Tatakai/Zoid Central Continent War (NES)
Cyber Drive Zoids (GBA)
Dash (DS)
Infinity (Arcade/PS2)
Infinity EX Neo (360)
Jashin Fukkatsu! Geno Breaker Hen/Evil God Revived! Geno Breaker Story (GBC)
Legend (GB)
Mokushiroku/The Apocalypse (NES)
Online Wars (PC/Mac)
Revenge of Helic (PC?)
Rise of Digard (Shield Liger Assault 2) (PC)
Saga (GBA)
-Saga I
-Saga II/Legacy
-Saga III: Fuzors
-Saga DS: Legend of Arcadia (DS)
Shield Liger Assault (PC)
Shirogane no Juukishin Liger Zero/Silver Beast Machine God Liger Zero (GBC)
Struggle (PS2)
-Full Metal Clash (GCN)
Tactics (PS2)
The Battle Begins (C64 & Spectrum)
Versus (GCN)
-VS I
-VS II/Battle Legends
-VS III
-VS.i (Mobile Phones)
Zenebasu no Gyakushuu/Zenebas' Counterattack (NES)
Zoids 2 (PS)

Holy SHIRT! that's a lot.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 02:52:18 AM by Shrike Flamestar »
Current Obsessions: Pokemon, Zoids, Shakugan no Shana (an anime series), Mushishi (another anime), and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Alternate Link

JammerLea

• Administrator
  • Take two for tea!
    • Zoids Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 03:24:21 AM »
After some poking (and playing) around, I made this for kicks:

http://www.zoidsevolution.net/games/handheld/densetsu/

Obviously needs some tweaking, it looks best in the Halcyon Years layout (meaning it looks SQUISHED in the others). But perhaps a start of basic game info. o_o

This is a Saber Fang, RIGHT?

I'm lost as to why it's ??????? (Great Saber) instead of ???????? (Saber Tiger). Anyone care to clear that up for me? :B (Thanks, Sammich)

Wheeeee...

Anyone have any idea how the Commodore 64 game works. I haven't a clue. x_x;;
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 04:56:52 PM by JammerLea »
...pending...

Tilly

• Administrator
    • pointytilly.net - zoids!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 12:28:16 AM »
???????? is Sabre Tiger, Saber Tiger uses ...?????  Something like that.  Tomy are odd - but there's a stats difference between Sabre and Saber.  And that's a Great Sabre...the little blob things on its bum are the finwings, really.  Or something D:.

There's a Japanese page on this game that might help you out some, want me to find it?
"Now look here, PAL!"
"Yes, mister NTSC?"
"No, I mean...wait, WHAT?"
"WHAT?  That's not a standard, do you mean SECAM?"
"...stop doing that!"

Shameless Plugs: Site - Fic - Art

JammerLea

• Administrator
  • Take two for tea!
    • Zoids Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 06:10:47 AM »
Sure, that would be awesome! I really do want to do something on the video games for ZE now, my hardest part is basic plot though, since I can't really read Japanese. I put together a little thing for "Chuuou Tairiku no Tatakai" too. I was wondering if anyone could help me translate the little two-liner opening?

??????? ????????????
??? ???????? ????????

"namae" just ends up being whatever you type in as a name at the beginning. The only other bit I can make out sensibly is the last word being "please". =_=; Gotta love a game that ONLY uses hiragana.
...pending...

Deathsaurer

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 12:40:11 PM »
Sure, that would be awesome! I really do want to do something on the video games for ZE now, my hardest part is basic plot though, since I can't really read Japanese. I put together a little thing for "Chuuou Tairiku no Tatakai" too. I was wondering if anyone could help me translate the little two-liner opening?

??????? ????????????
??? ???????? ????????

"namae" just ends up being whatever you type in as a name at the beginning. The only other bit I can make out sensibly is the last word being "please". =_=; Gotta love a game that ONLY uses hiragana.

i asked somebody on the web and he replied below,

[Your name], thank you for coming. First, please meet with the president. (I assume it's ??????? and not ????????)

JammerLea

• Administrator
  • Take two for tea!
    • Zoids Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 01:35:37 PM »
Whoops. You would be correct on that. Sorry! That would've made a world of difference. Thanks for the translation. XD

I think I got dates for most of the games... just not sure for a couple Playstation ones. Some release dates may be off by a couple days (conflicting dates on the gamesoft sites and an online store), but they should be close enough.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 01:53:10 PM by JammerLea »
...pending...

Aardwulf

• Newbie Beta
  • no! keep him away from the angst biscuits!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 10:16:32 PM »
Anyone have any idea how the Commodore 64 game works. I haven't a clue. x_x;;

You guide your Zoid through a series of maps looking for pieces of Mighty Zoidzilla, destroying enemy Zoids and key structures like radio towers en route.  When you encounter an enemy Zoid, the POV changes to this...weird radar-scope-looking thing where you have to use the joystick to align your gun sight with a little moving dot representing your target and then fire on it.  It's incredibly hard, or at least it was for me.  I never got out of my first battle.  :P

The music is quite nice, though, and a portion of it was lifted for use in CC (the "Ancestors" theme).

Also, I don't know if it counts as a game per se, but there's that Zoids Gear handheld thinger.  It looks like it might have some kind of game function on it, but I can't read enough Japanese to figure out how it's supposed to work. 

JammerLea

• Administrator
  • Take two for tea!
    • Zoids Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »
Oh yeah... isn't that the one that came with the Genius Wolf? I know there's one member here who has a Genius Wolf...

Thanks for the info on the Commodore game. I got a ROM of it, but it like... doesn't work or something. o_o; I also managed to aquire a complete copy of the game for Spectrum (yay eBay), so I'll be able to share some packaging images once that comes in~ I'm such a nerd... buying a game I can't play. XD;
...pending...